Is Your Child a Square Peg Being Pushed into a Round Hole? – with Jade Ann Rivera
Our conversation with Jade Rivera and her work will completely resonate with so many of us. With her unique experience working with neurodivergent children, we unpack what it means to be an alternative learner. We uncover what it means to have these needs that conventional education is not addressing.
According to Jade, “If you’ve landed on my website, you’ve probably had some experience with neurodivergent children. Quirky children with brains that seem to work differently from the norm. Children who need an unusual amount of scaffolding to accomplish simple-looking tasks inspire us with boundary-pushing insights and creations. At best, you may have heard them described as gifted or as twice-exceptional; at worst, as weird or as trouble makers.”
This episode explores:
- Microschools and Jade’s work developing these institutions with others
- Neurodivergent learners and how they can be supported
- Labels and the meaning or lack of meaning they offer
- Achievement and what that looks like for different learners
- Homework and testing- to do or not to do!
- Connecting with your child and the choices you can make to truly support them
- AND SO MUCH MORE!
At the end of this episode, Jade gives solid advice for parents on how to best support their children… so be sure to listen till the end!
LISTEN HERE | iTunes | Stitcher Radio
Jade Rivera’s Website
Jade Rivera’s book Micro-Schools: Creating Personalized Learning on a Budget (Perspective in Gifted Homeschooling)
Build your micro-school summer institute
Dr. Shefali bio
Scott Barry Kaufman Podcast What is Intelligence Anyway?
As always we LOVE to hear your thoughts! If you enjoyed the show please leave a review!
- Jade Ann Rivera