How Your Failing & Disorganized Child Might be a Secret Perfectionist with Lisa Van Gemert
Surprisingly, perfectionism might manifest itself in various ways. Often times students with hidden perfectionistic ideals might go undetected because they seem messy, lazy, unorganized or seem like they are not trying (*hint*: this is risk avoidance! For example, they would rather take the “0” grade by not trying vs trying and getting an 80% grade because it did not turn out like they envisioned in their mind). But actually, students who are under-performing might be masking a fear that is the root of perfectionism.
There might be an underlying belief of unreasonable expectations– which may result in surprising behaviors that tie into perfectionism. You cannot really achieve perfectionism –It rarely leads to high achievement and might even effect their socialness! It may seem counter-intuitive but perfectionism is rarely helpful!
Internal scripts in perfectionist dyslexic students might sound like, “OK – new semester! I am going to be EVEN BETTER than last time- this is the time when I know I will be so much better!”
Do you know if perfectionism is showing up in your child in ways you would not expect?
Sound familiar? Are you a perfectionist yourself?
The problem we encounter with perfectionistic children is that they hook too much of their self-concept (AKA: self-love) to performance…and so they see themselves as unworthy when they don’t perform in the way they had hoped to… and they believe others will not love them as well either.
Listen for more on the relationship between perfectionism and self-love/ self-esteem!
Perfectionism is a paradigm of expectations of oneself. It is the way through in which you view your expectation. It is this combination of an unreasonable expectation of oneself in one or more area’s of one’s life, combined with a lack of SELF- LOVE….
LISTEN HERE | iTunes | Stitcher Radio
Rate and review on iTunes! We LOVE hearing from you – as always- Meet us (and a community of over 10,000! ) on Instagram or Facebook! Do you have a question for Lisa? Send us your question for our mini series!
Does this sound like you? ⠀⠀⠀⠀
(READ BELOW)⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
- ✅Do you feel frustrated by the lack of awareness, understanding and celebrating of the #dyslexic processing style in the traditional school system?
- ✅Do you feel unsure how to ensure that your child maintains a love of learning and motivation?
- ✅Does your heart break, when you see that sparkle in your kid’s eye begin to diminish due to school stress?
- ✅Do you feel isolated and alone navigating the school system for your child?
- ✅Are you secretly worried if your child will be able to make it in college or in a “real job”?
- ✅Are you unsure about the balance between “pushing” your child, and making their life/ experience easier and more supportive? 🌟🌟🌟
If you answered “yes” to a few of the above statements , then I created this interactive online community course for you. Join us. Early bird pricing ends soon!!!
COURSE CART NOW OPEN: How to Build Your Child’s Self Esteem– Even If The School Is Tearing It Down
A step by step, 8 week online live course for parents and guardians of dyslexic students aged 7 – 15 years old.
Get in touch with Lisa:
- Lisa Van Gemert